Leadership is all about inspiring and enabling others, epitomized by level four delegation. The keys to doing that well are 1) direction, 2) resources, 3) bounded authority, and 4) accountability.
Recall the framework from my article, The Art of Delegating:
- Do well yourself – Individual contributors’ main area of focus
- Do yourself, but just well enough – Individual contributors
- Delegate and supervise – The realm of managers
- Delegate and trust – Senior leaders enabling and empowering managers
- Do later – Senior leaders’ prioritization/deprioritization saving others time now
- Do never – Senior leaders’ ultimate deprioritization, saving others time and attention