Imation CFO Paul Zeller knows a thing or two about surviving in a cutthroat corporate world. Four different CEOs have come and gone since he has been CFO. The current CEO changed out every single person on the leadership team except Zeller. When I interviewed Zeller for my earlier article on Imation’s M&A tactics, I asked him how he survived.
Here are seven behaviors to keep in mind:
- Foundation – Treat your new boss decently as a human being,
- Attitude – Choose to be optimistic. Believe the best about your new boss.
- Approach – Proactively tell your new boss that you want to be part of the new team.
- Learning – Present a realistic and honest game plan to help the boss learn.
- Expectations – Understand and move on your new boss’ agenda immediately.
- Implementation – Adjust to your new boss’ working style immediately.
- Delivery – Be on your “A” game. Be present and “on”.