When you onboard into a new role, or any time you try to change things, your efforts will have supporters, watcher, and detractors. The most dangerous are the covert detractors. To deal with them, you have to uncover them. In that effort, look for people who:
- are out for revenge against you or your allies (especially people who wanted your job but did not get it).
- are afraid of looking incompetent if what you’re trying to do succeeds.
- feel you are threatening their values.
- feel you are threatening their power (or see an opportunity to increase their power).
- feel you are threatening their sense of self-worth.
- feel you are threatening their allies.
- are comfortable with the status quo (understanding that anyone comfortable with the status quo in these times is going to fall on the wrong side of Darwin’s adapt or perish choice).
- miss a significant milestone (a sign of potential passive-aggressive behavior).