Many lead by example. Unfortunately, not everyone will follow the example you set, especially if you are new to the organization. Improve that by understanding context and vocabulary and changing frameworks, the narrative and processes – in that order.
One of the main insights from PrimeGenesis’ executive onboarding work over the past decade goes to the advantage of converging before evolving. No one is going to follow you anywhere, anytime until you have earned the right to lead. Consider these five steps:
- Understand current behaviors, relationships, attitudes, values and environment.
- Learn and use their vocabulary, not yours.
- Add new frameworks to stimulate new thinking.
- Strengthen the narrative and emotional connections.
- Modify processes to build muscle memory around the change.